Happy February! I don't know about you but I was happy that Punxsutawney predicted an early spring; unfortunately I don't think his past track record of success is too reliable (insert investing joke here).
Here are some highlights of the index returns for January 2020:
- Global equities were mostly down
- S&P 500 fell 4 bps for the month, MSCI EM dropped 4.7% and the R2000V lost 5.4%
- These losses were at least in part due to the Coronavirus (the S&P 500 fell over 2% and the MSCI EM over 5% in just the last 5 days of the month)
- The R1000G is the one spot that currently seems impervious, gaining 2.2% in January
- Global REITs also gained in January, though remain negative for the last 3 months
- Opposite to equities, global yields fell, leading to increasing prices. All FI benchmarks shown had positive January returns.
- Treasuries generally outperformed Corporates and Munis, with the differences being larger further out the curve
As always, please contact us at email@example.com if you have any comments or questions.